Last Monday I took the day off, in the hopes relaxing a bit, and tackling a DIY project. Instead of sleeping in I was woken by the smoke alarm needing batteries, and a raging thunderstorm outside.
Despite the rough start, I managed to finish a book and take a nap on the couch before beginning the project. We had purchased a large wine rack from Ikea, and I wanted to stain it before setting it up in the basement.
I had all the supplies I needed – sandpaper, wood pre-conditioner, stain, and polyurethane. The sanding took longer than it should have. It took me awhile to realize that thoroughly sanding the knotty pine was pointless. What I really needed was to just remove any splinters and let it go. I intend for the wine rack to look fairly rustic, so the knots, scratches and rough spots are really just part of the charm.
I then applied the pre-conditioner. I”m not sure if this was necessary either since I didn’t really expect the stain to go on evenly.
The staining itself was slow going. The long posts were very easy, but the bottle racks were already stapled together, creating a bunch of nooks and crannys. With Jace’s help I was able to finish the top side of the racks and posts by dinner time.
Last Saturday we finished off the bottom side of the racks and posts, and Sunday we applied a coat of poly.
The stain color is Minwax Red Mahogany. It does look quite lovely, and has a rustic appeal. It was a much cheaper wine rack solution than anything I’ve seen anywhere else. The total including stain, poly, brushes, and sandpaper was less than $150.
In all it fits roughly 112 bottles. If only we had won the Wall of Wine last week at the Taste of Lakeville (140 bottles!). As it is, we have a long way to go towards filling it.